Friday, February 4, 2011

Snow Day!

Well, it snowed. FINALLY!  We got measureable snow fall! I was so excited. I even got up late at night to watch the snow fall freshly on the ground. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Being outside in the back yard, in the chilly stillness of the night while everyone else cuddled up warmly in their beds. Just me and the gentle sound of the snow falling. It was absolutely amazing! The feel of the tiny flakes falling on my cheeks, being able to scoop up a bit of snow in my hands and run my fingers over the cold, tiny, white beads. I even walked out to the front of the house and saw the street completely covered in a thin veil of pure white, devoid of footsteps or dirty tire marks. A beautiful solid sheet of snow glowing in the night. I went back to bed with frozen, cherry-red cheeks and a smile on my face.
Of course, not everyone in my area had as great of a night. One highway found itself with a 50 car pile-up. Yup FIFTY cars...Sounds like great times. And in a town where snow fall is extremely rare, you better believe the whole area was completely shut down. Very few people had to report to work. Kids everywhere were elated to have a 3-day weekend and a few hours to play in the snow.
I spent my time baking. My house was filled with the scents of brownies, cookies and banana bread. Another plus is the gas oven kept the house pretty warm and comfortable. I greeted this evening with a bowl of Chicken Tortilla soup- one of my personal favorites. And later, I shall bid this perfect day adieu with a cup of Mexican hot chocolate and a little indulgence in my fresh-baked goodies. All in all it was a wonderful day!

No comments: